Machias, meaning bad little falls, was so named by the Passamaquoddy Indians, because of its furiously - running falls. It is located in Downeast Maine on the Machias River.
The first history of Machias dates back to 1633, when an Englishman named Richard Vines established a trading - post there. In 1763, a large number of people, mostly from Scarborough, came to settle in Machias, and erected many saw mills. They later petitioned for a grant for settlement, which was allowed in 1770. In 1775, the Machias settlers initiated the first naval battle of the American Revolution, capturing the armed schooner, HMS Margaretta, the first British vessel captured by the Americans. (The Margaretta Days Festival is celebrated each June.) For this heroism, they were given a formal vote of thanks by the Massachusetts Congress, and received the name of Lexington of the Seas. The first organized church in Machias and Washington County was Congregationalist, and dates back to September, 1782.